Hey there Slats neighbors!
Happy holidays to everyone.
There’s so much going on in our neighborhood. We want to provide you a short update.
1. The Kmart Carpark Conundrum
You’ve probably seen some stories in the Post Bulletin about the Kmart parking lot proposal. Maybe you’ve seen it on Facebook and Nextdoor too.
Quick Summary: Mayo wants to have a park and ride lot at the old Kmart site for employees who work at St. Marys hospital. We’re not sure that’s a good idea for our neighborhood and we’ve been actively engaged with the city to make sure that whatever happens is something that doesn’t’ impact our neighborhood negatively in terms of traffic and safety.
Let your voice be heard: There are a couple of important upcoming meetings where you can attend and let folks know what you think:
– Planning and Zoning Meeting Dec. 11, 6 pm, City Council Chambers, Govt. Center: There’s no hearing. But you can speak briefly at the beginning.
– City Council Meeting Jan. 6, 7pm, City Council Chambers, Govt Center: There will be a public hearing to allow residents to speak. This is probably the most important opportunity to make your voice heard on this matter. It makes a big impression when people attend in person.
-You can also send your thoughts to CommunityDevelopment@rochester.gov
2. Save the date for the Slatterly Winter Potluck – Feb. 22
Come share a meal with your neighbors and bust the winter blahs. We’ll be holding the potluck at Redeemer Lutheran Church at 11:30 to 2 pm on Feb. 22. Please bring a dish to pass. And stay to hang out. We’ll have a kids area with crafts and an animated movie playing. And for the grownups, we’re planning to offer a fun game (maybe Bingo or Giant Jenga with some small prizes) and live music from a local band.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is just to help us plan.
3. Quarterly Neighborhood Meeting coming up Tuesday, Jan. 21, 7 pm at Hawthorne Education Center.
4. Are you decorating your house with lights for the holidays? Please share a photo on the @SlatterlyParkNeighbors Facebook page or on Nextdoor.
5. Invite your neighbors to join our email list or our Garden Club email list. So far we have about 320 emails, but we know we’re missing a lot of people. They can email email@example.com to join our or our Garden Club’s mailing lists.